Monday, April 30, 2012

Titanic-mania!

I just finished the BEST audiobook I have EVER listened to, EVER. And I have listened to a lot. I first started listening to audiobooks when I had a job behind the scenes in a library where I could listen to them while I worked. Then I got the job I have now where I commute to work and was able to translate my new found love from my iPod to my car cd player. It is the ONLY thing that keeps me sane on my drives.


Anyways, like I said before, I just finished an amazing audiobook. I was completely obsessed with it and it actually made me look forward to my drive. The book is titled, The Watch that Ends the Night, by Alan Wolf. This is a story about the Titanic disaster. I have always been interested in this topic. Yes, I know there are lots of books out there on the Titanic. Yes, the story has been told and retold. Yes, it is a sad story about a ship sinking. However, this book is unique in that it made me really comprehend the human side of this story. Over 1,400 souls perished in the sinking and I feel that I can more fully understand how tragic this event really was.

There are a couple reasons why this book is so moving and beautiful. First, it is written in different verse forms so it has a lyrical quality to it. Second, the narrators stole the show. The story is told from 24 different perspectives of people on board the ship. Examples are first class passengers like John Jacob Astor, third class passengers, the ship captain, the ship rat, and the iceberg. The story starts a few days before the Titanic left port so you get a feel for the personalities and perspectives of the different passengers. This enables you to get to know them intimately and understand that each lost soul on board was a person just like you and me.

Haunting, tragic, moving, and beautifully written, I recommend this book to all history lovers and audiobookers.

No comments:

Post a Comment