Monday, March 12, 2012

A new and awesome type of graphic novel

I like to craft. I don't do it nearly as much as I would like due to time and money. But, I sure do enjoy scrapbooking and the re-living of memories that comes through doing it. I love the different textures, colors, and mediums that are used in scrapbooking. It reminds me a lot of collage which is my favorite type of art work. So, you can bet your Charleston swinging dancing self that I was super pumped to read the world's first scrapbook novel! I heard about it because it was one of the winners of the Alex Award which recognizes twelve adult novels with young adult apeal. Well, let me tell you that I fell in love at first glance of its adorable vintage cover! The book traces the main character, Frankie Pratt, through her senior year of high school into her young professional years. It takes place in the 1920s and is filled with vintage memorbilia from that time period and the font is straight out of Frankie's father's typewriter. The pictures, memorbilia, and short paragraphs tell a delightful and inspiring story of a young woman who wants to pursue her dreams in a time when women were just getting recognition in the workplace. The author, Caroline Preston, is a vintage scrapbook collector and her appreciation for the time period really shines through. Graphic novel fans and historical fiction fans will likely enjoy reading this novel, but I recommend it to all the scrapbookers out there as well!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading this book. You know I love the 20s! =)

    ReplyDelete